How to get your COA

The ins and out of how to get your Certificate of Responsibility from the amazing City of Cape Town, thanks to Aurelia from Philosophy of Yum for helping me with this very informative blog.

When you are a food vendor or you prepare food and sell it actually need 2 certificates. COA and Hawking meals license. They go hand in hand.

On the day: Take your ID along and a black pen.
  1. Go to the Cape Town Municipality in Media City Building which is on the corner of Heerengracht St and Hertzog Blvd. Parking in DF Malan St is easier.
  2. Sign in at security and say you are going to Environmental Health and Safety. I think it’s on the 3rd Floor.
  3.  Ask for Lucille Symes at the Environmental Health & Safety desk. She is amazing. Tough, but fair. Be sure to bring along your ID, as the certificates are linked to your name and ID number as well.
  4.  You will fill in a form, pay R10 at the cash desk, then return to her with your receipt.
  5.  She then contacts your closest Environmental Health and Safety Office. They will contact you somewhere in the course of 2 weeks to set up an appointment for inspection. The requirements are on the document here.
  6.  The environmental health and safety office issues your certificate and license. Lucille will phone you to come collect it, but they also offer to post it to you if you are far away from town. The whole process takes about 2 weeks from start to finish.
             Contact Aurelia for orders | her Facebook page and | the recipe BLOG
Aurelia Philosophy of Yum Big Bay Market